November 5, 2008

Rude-Polite Language

I've been watching Gyagu Manga Biyori a lot lately; It's fun to have in the corner of the screen while I study.
I've found the language in this episode pretty interesting; I started to notice that the rude disciple always uses "polite" language, while the master says things using sometimes rude terms, yet in a tone rather weak and beaten-sounding. I guess more than politeness, their language reflects their standing in relation to each other.


Anyways, you may recall my theory that in the future all keigo will become sarcastically used. Also of interest is the scene in Battle Royal when the girls realize that a poisoner is among them and their language goes from polite/casual to gangster in the space of a minute.

2 comments:

  1. Battle Royale, great movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there. We both seem to be taking 1 Kyuu this year. I've been hard at work using Anki recently - have you heard of it? In any case, I created some card decks for memorising vocab and kanji. Take a look at them if you have time. I hope they are useful!

    http://michaeldowney.net/jlpt-1kyuu-kanji-jp/

    Good luck to the both of us!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.