September 4, 2009

Advanced Rakugo: Manjyū are Scary!

A promised follow up to the Rakugo with English post.
This vid is in Japanese, so those who aren't studying Japanese, I'll provide a summary below the video. If you are interested in Japanese culture, you should know this particular rakugo act because it is pretty famous.



Summary: A few guys are talking about what scares them the most. One of them remains quiet until they press him, and he surprises them by saying that he finds manjyū (steamed dumplings with sweet-bean filling) very scary. They decide to play a trick on him and slip some manjyū into his house, which he begins to eat happily, and realize they've been duped. "Alright, what are you really afraid of?" they demand. To which he replies that he is very afraid of hot tea.
--
Seems like most people spell it "manjū," but I like consistent romaji.

Anybody know other famous rakugo that are important cultural references?

7 comments:

  1. Yep, I definitely don't get why Rakugo is interesting.

    This guy doing Rakugo came to the high school that I teach at as part of their culture festival, and most of the students fell asleep...
    Then he did this thing where he cut paper up and made stuff with it, which everyone loved, so it was all okay in the end I guess.

    Do you actually enjoy Rakugo? Or are you just introducing it as a part of Japanese culture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy it because it is pretty easy to get for me

    my kids seemed to crack up a lot when I was a teacher and one came

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Clay! I found your Youtube channel today while searching for pieces on japanese food. I'm enjoying the videos immensely, and had to ask: Are you also a cartoonist, by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I've gotten money for it, so I'd have so yes, I am

    ReplyDelete
  5. How old are they??
    Maybe the guy who came to my school just wasn't that great, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was an elementary school.
    I remember the day well, for I got reprimanded for laying on my side on a hot day... it's a long story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahh, I'm at a high school, so maybe they were just pretending to be cool and not enjoying it. (Although that doesn't sound like the students from my school at all!)

    You got told off for lying on your side? Is that a weird Japanese thing, like when people tell you that you should always cover up your stomach when you sleep or you'll get sick?

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.