June 14, 2007

Well, it finally happened.

Things are a little odd today. Okay, a lot. And I am not sure how much longer the power will be on; it's been flickering. Besides, I've got to get to a safer location. Luckily, I am close the mountains, and will head up there shortly. The sirens started around 5 a.m., but they've been off for a little while now.
I confirmed what was giving me the willies pretty early on, with the site of my neighbor. She is one of a few little old ladies that lives around me. But I saw her, out in the yard, trying stupidly to claw her way through the chain link fence. It took me a good thirty seconds to put it together: the clouded over eyes; the blood on her hands and nightgown; the old man, barely in view, laying very still on the tatami beyond their open window. This woman was a zombie.
I got my shovel. It was really hard. Cause you second guess yourself in such a situation. You wonder if you aren't crazy, when the world is. I made a mad dash to the supermarket after that; did some breaking in and looting; there are already a few bodies strewn outside, some of them twitching. I kicked one into the river on my way out. There was a very confused man in the market; some worker. I tried to convince him of what was happening; why the banging was so incessent on the shutters, and that I had a reason for my ransacking. But he wouldn't believe me, and I left him behind.

Has it spread abroad yet? The TV stations that are on are issuing generic emergency signals. Thank goodness we are an island nation. But how long can I and the other survivors hold out? Gotta go. Pray for me and be safe.

(update: apparently there is some info and news about events here).

5 comments:

  1. Have you read 'World War Z'? It's pretty cool. Right up your alley. It's by the guy who wrote the zombie survival guide book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Amanda, I see you have survived so far! That's good.
    I certainly wish I had read the guide book of which you speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was almost too late for her, Clay. I got home at lunch and found her fending off a former neighbor with my shinai through our broken front window.
    No sirens in town, but there were some echoing from Takeo.
    I managed to get my kindergarten class secured in the school lunch prep room, and have been looking for supplies or help.
    Contact is sporadic enough out in the fields, but the stores and main street are pretty dangerous.
    I've been ambushing them with a pair of wood saws, ni-tou-ryu style, but without transport, I don't know where to go...
    If you got the heroic urge, come get us and maybe we can make a run for the Sasebo Navy base.
    The military will know what to do...

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent idea. I have my car. I will try to round up a few people, so we have room for children, and we will take the back roads. With any luck we will arrive in a few hours. Good luck to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it did spread overseas.

    I'm alive and doing fine, Clayton. My new "neighbors" won't leave me alone, though. Got a radio, sterno stove, enough canned food to make a recycling center blush, and plenty of water.

    Hang in there, dude! Get back to me soon and let me know how you're holding up.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.