October 6, 2006

Even batman needed a buddy for company

As the hopeless romantic, I have often thought I was quite comfortable being alone and brooding. But I think I have reached my limit. And I don't really have anything to brood about, except why I've been feeling sick and irritable lately. The answer came from a teacher that I have a small rivalry with (in the Japanese sense where your rival is your friend). Anyways, I mentioned to her that my throat hurts every day. No doubt that is mostly allergies, but she suggested stress, and a light went off in my head.
"But wait," I said. "I am a 暇人 (person with lots of free time)!"
She, being the good rival that she is, shot back with, "You're lonely." Then she walked off. I realized she is right. That I am tired of being the only foreigner in town and only seeing my girlfriend on weekends. That I am tired of 社交辞令 where Japanese people make friends with me for a night at the izakaya or wherever then lose interest in me because they have their busy lives to lead and I am Mr. Freetime. And it does stress me out.
I need friends my age, that I can see on more than just weekends. People that are free like me. I'll have to brood over what to do about all of this...

4 comments:

  1. Just don't make the same mistake Batman did and pick Robin as a buddy... holy cow, what an annoying partner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to the circus and find an acrobatic kid. You pretty much have the opposite proplem from me. I got really tired of people last year when my apartment was basically the place to go. I personally seem to get stressed in times when the same thing is happening to me. I need change constantly, it's incredibly bipolar of me. It's why I can't hold a job and change friends like clothes. It's not as depressing as it sounds though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL...Nope not LDS (yet), I am currently investigating the church. It’s a bit strange for me (going to church on my own), I’ve been trying to figure some things out. (BTW I loved watching General Conference, it’s a good sign I guess). So what are you up to? What are you doing middle of February? My friend and I want to go to the Tokyo area for a few days and I’m trying to get ideas of what to do. Maybe I could finally meet up with you!
    Any who, Got to get going, class soon.
    OH any suggestions for me while I’m investigating the church?
    Mata Ne!
    -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suggestions eh? I would say keeping an open mind is key, and discerning for yourself what feels right. There is a lot of disinformation in the church, lots of urban ledgends and people passing off personal opinions as dogma. Then there are of course crazy rumors about the church from our misguided Mormon haters. So stick to the Bible and Book of Mormon for most of your questions; they have pretty handy indexes for searching. And of course, pray! Also, I find wikipedia can explain certain things, like the word of wisdom, in a pretty smart way.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.