April 13, 2009

Yoji: Two Yoji with One Stone


Everybody knows 一石二鳥 (issekinichou: killing two birds with one stone), but did you know there is an equivalent 4 character idiom out there, and it is also common? Allow me to introduce you to 一挙両得 (ikkiryoutoku). How is it different? I'll just have to do two yoji with one breakdown!

The breakdown on 一石二鳥
一: one
石: stone
二: two
鳥: bird(s)
frequency: high

On 一挙両得
挙: action
一挙: (adv) in one action
両: both
得: gain
両得: double gain
rarity: common


So there we see... eh? My erudition alarm just went off! It seems we have another equivalent term! 一挙両全 (ikkiryouzen)! Ah, now the breakdown alarm is going off too!

Bonus breakdown on 一挙両全
全: all
両全: mutual advantage
rarity: uncommon


Well that was a short breakdown, but of course I did use the first breakdown to kill
a few birds. If there are any more in this series, drop me a line!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't understand the concluding part of your article, could you please explain it more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the second breackdown is unclear, please refer to the first breakdown.
    When in doubt, use one of the dictionary sites linked to in my sidebar

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated in a speedy fashion.