May 21, 2008

This is Your Brain on Japanese Drugs


This is the one and only warning against drugs I have seen in my time in Japan. Kids usually have one of two things on their pencil cases here: swastikas or marijuana leaves. The teachers have no clue what it means; I've asked. They don't seem concerned at all when I tell them the meaning. Whatever, crazy foreigner. There also never seems to be anything like assemblies where a guest comes and explains why drugs are bad, m'kay. I could be missing such events though. I did see an old man come to talk to the children about the bomb at least. Oh and there was "what to do if a crazy guy comes to the school" and fire preparedness days. But anyways, teachers seem more concerned about cell phones than drugs. If someone gets caught with a cell phone, there are days of meetings about it.